There is little archaeological data on the town since so much of it covered by built up area, although there are ample traces of many of the important sanctuaries that once contained famous "votive offerings", among them the famous bronze Chimera, today in the Archaeological Museum in Florence; these buildings were all decorated with extremely beautiful terracottas, carried out by a well known local school of pottery (Piazza San Jacopo, Via Roma, etc.).In 1869, an important votive deposit was discovered in the Fonte Veneziana, which yielded 180 bronzes of various kinds, as well as ceramics. Surrounded by the typical walls made of massive blocks of stone, the large necropolis of Poggio Sole was founded in the 6th century BCE. and continued to be used until Roman times.
Evidence of the notable economic prosperity enjoyed by Arezzo for the whole of the Hellenistic and the successive Roman age can be seen from the monumental buildings, such as the powerful sanctuary of San Cornelio-Castelsecco, which stood outside the city and probably dates from the 2nd century BCE.
Once it had become one of Rome's satellites and was made a "municipium", it was furnished with great public buildings, a forum and public baths.
Famous for its magnificent pottery in Etruscan times, Arretium during the later Roman period churned out many thousands of examples of mass produced Arretine Sigilatta pottery, with its characteristic red glaze, originally intended to mimic the appearance of bronze ware. Copies of Arretine ware have been found in the remotest outposts of the Roman Empire.